If you’re like us, you can’t get enough of Autumn in New Jersey. Let NJMOM help you discover unique, outdoor activities to do in November with your kids to keep them outside and happy. From super adventures like family horseback trail riding and fall zipline tours at Mountain Creek to educational fun at Battleship New Jersey and a kid-friendly guided hike at New Jersey Botanical Gardens, there is no shortage of things to do outside this month.
Here are 10 Outdoor Activities to do in November in New Jersey:
1. Fall Foliage Zipline Tour at Mountain Creek
The Mountain Creek Zip Tours are open all year long, but there is no better time to experience this adventure than when the foliage is at its best. Unparalleled 360 degree views will give your family a chance to view our state from vantage points unlike any other. This resort’s zipline routes range from 200 to 1,500 feet in length, and are tucked away 1,040 feet above sea level, atop Mountain Creek. Book your adventure during the day for the full Fall Foliage Tour, or opt for a different kind of “colorful” with the Sunset Flights. For an extra edge to your zip experience, try out the Night Tour for a truly thrilling family experience.
200 Route 94, Vernon Township, NJ 07462
For more information, please call (973) 827-2000 or visit their website.
2. Battleship New Jersey
Celebrate Military Family Appreciation Month this November by paying a visit to Battleship New Jersey, America’s most decorated battleship, located on the Delaware River New Jersey waterfront. With many tours, packages, and museum experiences to choose from, this interactive adventure will take you five levels up and two levels below the main deck via ladders and corridors, through the same lens of a battleship crew member. Do not fear the cold, November winds breezing off of the river – this adventure is the perfect, season-appropriate mix of outdoor and indoor activity. Oh, and children four-years and under are free!
Battleship New Jersey
62 Battleship Place, Camden, NJ 08103
For more information, please call (856) 966-1652 or visit their website.
3. Fall Weekend Train Rides at Allaire
All aboard the Pine Creek Railroad! Take a step back in time to The New Jersey Museum of Transportation’s weekend train rides this November at Allaire State Park. Catch the train every half hour between 12:00PM – 4:00PM for a 15 minute railroad excursion through the pines. Train-loving little ones can choose between enclosed carriages or an open-sided cars to feel the crisp, autumn wind during the ride. Children under three-years are free.
New Jersey Museum of Transportation at Allaire State Park
4265 Atlantic Ave, Wall Township, New Jersey 07727
For more information, please call (732) 938-5524 or visit their website.
4. Family Woodland Guided Hike at New Jersey Botanical Gardens
This free, guided hike on Sunday, November 20th at 1:00PM is a perfect outdoor activity for families to do together. This active adventure is easy enough for children to participate in, all while learning about the plants and animals that inhabit New Jersey Botanical Gardens‘ woodland area. Breathe in the fresh air as you take in the Garden State’s undeniably beautiful autumn foliage. This family-friendly activity meets at the Carriage House Visitor Center.
New Jersey Botanical Gardens
2 Morris Road, Ringwood, NJ 07456
For more information, please call (973) 962-9534 or visit their website.
5. Geocaching Treasure Hunts
This global scavenger-hunt-like movement urges families to “join the world’s largest treasure-hunt.” This activity can be done any time, on any day, making it a perfect activity for filling in those gaps on your calendar. There are 2 million Geocaches worldwide, come in all shapes and sizes, and many of them can be found right in your hometown. By creating a free Geocache account on your smartphone, mom can locate any Geocache near her, and start hunting with the little ones! When you find your cache, there will be a collection of little knick-knacks that you can trade with (if you desire!) Be be sure to sign the log book, and share your Geocache experience online. Then, it’s on to the next hunt!
For more information, visit Geocaching online.
6. Holiday Parades
‘Tis the season to be jolly – and attend Holiday Parades! New Jersey knows how to throw a party, and one of the best ways is by celebrating outside with your community. Attend one of our state’s festive parades throughout the month of November to ring in the holiday season ahead.
● Nov 25: 23rd Holiday Express Concert, Tree Lighting, & Parade in Red Bank
● Nov 25: Millville Christmas Parade
● Nov 26: Greater Newton Holiday Parade
● Nov 26: Collingswood Holiday Parade
● Nov 28: “Light Up the World” Holiday Parade in Vineland
● Nov 28: Annual Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting in Swedesboro
7. Fall Farmer’s Markets
The weather is crisp, but that doesn’t mean it’s time to say goodbye to your local farmer’s market. The season of the harvest is the perfect time to shop locally for your favorite veggies, fruits, baked goods, and dry goods from farmers in your community. Stock up on cranberries, squash, cauliflower, apples, grapes, raspberries, beets, broccoli, eggplant, peppers, pumpkins, and even more autumnal goodies to use in your family’s freshest seasonal meals.
Visit some of our favorite Fall Farmer’s Markets:
● Bivalve Fishermen and Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 22 at Bayshore Center, at Bivalve, 2800 High Street, Port Norris, NJ 08349
● Boonton Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 19 at 808 Main Street, Boonton, NJ 07005
● Burlington Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at Kennedy Park, Wood Street, Burlington, NJ 08016
● Chatham Borough Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 19 at RR Plaza South off Fairmount Ave 07928
● Collingswood Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 19 at 713 N Atlantic Ave, Collingswood, NJ 08084
● Denville Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at Bloomfield Ave Parking Lot in Downtown Denville, NJ 07834
● Edison Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at 925 Amboy Avenue, Edison, NJ 08837
● Englishtown Auction & Farmers Market: Year round at 90 Wilson Ave, Manlapan, NJ 07726
● Fort Lee Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at Fort Lee Community Center, 1355 Inwood Terrace, Fort Lee, NJ 07024
● Galleria Red Bank Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at 2nd Bridge Avenue, Red Bank 07701
● Highland Park Farmers Market: Runs through Dec 16 at Raritan Avenue between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, Highland Park, NJ 08904
● Hoboken Family Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 23 at Garden Street Mews, 14th & Garden Streets, Hoboken, NJ 07030
● Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at 111 Mine St., Flemington, NJ 08822
● Jersey City Farmers Markets
Maplewood Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 21 at Indiana Street Municipal parking lot adjacent to Springfield Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040
● Metuchen Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 19 at 15 Center Street, Metuchen, NJ 08840
● Millburn Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 22 at Main and Essex Streets, Millburn, NJ 07041
● Montclair Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 25 at Walnut Street Train Station, Montclair, NJ 07042
● Morristown Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 20 at Spring St at Morris St, Morristown, NJ 07960
● New Brunswick Community Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 19 at Kilmer Square Park, 108 Albany St., New Brunswick, NJ 08901
● Princeton Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 17 at 55 Witherspoon St, Princeton, NJ 08542
● Ramsey Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 27 at Main Street Train Station, Station Plaza & Main Street, Ramsey, NJ 07446
● Rutgers Gardens Farmers Market: Runs through Nov 19 at 140 Log Cabin Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
8. Waterfalls in New Jersey
Now that leaves are starting to disappear from the trees, it is easier than ever to spot New Jersey’s most amazing waterfalls. Whether you are looking to drive up for a quick view, or make a day out of it with a family hike – New Jersey’s natural beauty will not disappoint you this November.
Best Waterfall Hikes:
Easily Accessible Waterfalls:
9. Family Horseback Trail Rides
Saddle up and try something new this November with your family. Whether you are an experienced rider or a horseback riding novice, trail riding through the Garden State as a family is a wonderful way to bond during the colorful, autumn months. With no shortage of stables in New Jersey, there are plenty of locations that offer fully guided family and group trail riding. For your little horse-lovers, try an introductory pony ride on-site for a thrilling, outdoor experience.
NJ Stables offering family trail rides:
● D&D Stables in Buena
● Echo Lake Stables in Newfoundland
● Elite Equine Group in Woodland Park
● Legends Riding Stable in Vernon
● Lord Stirling Stable in Basking Ridge
● Miller Farms in Berlin
● Round Valley Trail Rides in Lebanon
● Seaton Hackney Stables in Morristown
● Top View Riding Ranch in Blairstown
● Washington Riding Stables in Sayreville
10. Delsea Drive-In Theatre
For the perfect half-indoor, half-outdoor family experience this month, drive on up to the Delsea Drive-In Movie Theatre in Vineland, NJ. It’s always a double feature (and sometimes a triple feature!) at New Jersey’s only drive-in theatre. This family-friendly operation features Hollywood’s most current mom-approved movies. This November, film buffs will be found watching flicks including Trolls, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and Doctor Strange from the comfort of their own vehicle. Delsea is home to an extensive cafe for your family’s snack and dining convenience – from shrimp with brown rice and eggplant parmesan to edamame and sub sandwiches, everybody in the family will find a treat to enjoy. The cafe also includes an entire gluten-free menu with over 30 items to choose from. Pack up some cozy blankets and pillows, and get comfy with the whole family as you enjoy a classic movie-going experience like no other this November.
Delsea Drive-In Theatre
2203 S Delsea Dr, Vineland, NJ 08360
For more information, please call (856) 696-0011 or visit their website.
MORE FUN THINGS TO DO IN NJ THIS NOVEMBER:
- 30 FREE NJ Events in November
- 50 Kid-Friendly Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving
- #NJMOM Fall Bucket List
- Pumpkin Picking in NJ
- Aquariums in NJ
- 20 Family Friendly Hiking Trails in NJ
- Pick your own fruits and veggies – Calendar
- 52 #NJMOM Must-Do Adventures
- Plan ahead by checking NJ Mom’s 60+ Things to Do in New Jersey
- Free Museum Days in NJ (the first weekend of each month)
- 275 Parks & Playgrounds in NJ
- 50 Best Spas in NJ
- 10 Mommy & Me Classes in NJ
- Date Night Ideas for Mom + Dad
- Kids Eat Free Restaurants
- Kids Bowl Free in NJ