Mother’s Day shopping can be tough. It comes around every year and every year we seem to end up picking up the same gift card to our mom’s favorite restaurant last minute, buying her flowers on the way home from a kid’s soccer game or picking out yet another article of clothing from her go-to store. This year is time to change it up. From local handmade gifts to unforgettable experiences, this Mother’s Day Gift Guide is full of fresh ideas to make this year’s Mother’s Day as special as the women it’s for.
Amazing Artistic Gifts
New Jersey is home to some extremely talented people and nothing is better than receiving art that was locally made. Here are just some of the great options if you’re looking for cool decorative pieces.
- Evelyn Taylor: Specializing in hand made ceramics, Eveyln Taylor Designs creates lifelong treasures for your house. Decorative pieces, vases, and picture frames are just some of the unique finds at Evelyn Taylor Designs.
- Little Hearts Chalk Art: Little Hearts Chalk Art proves chalk is not just for children. Sophisticated, elegant and creative chalk boards with quotes and designs that will never go out of style are the heart and soul of Little Hearts Chalk art.
- Moon Lily Images: Give the gift of photography with Moon Lily Images. Whether you want a natural landscape or a family portrait, Moon Lily takes unparalleled images and isn’t afraid to go outside the box.
- Squirrel Tacos: Their website says it best as Squirrel Tacos provides “charming hand cut silhouettes, bringing wonder and wild to your home” and these works do not disappoint. From landscapes and animals to iconic figures and quotes, these silhouettes are classy and stylish and make the perfect gift.
Food & Alcohol Always Wins
- Chloe’s Cream Puffs: For those moms with a sweet tooth, Chloe’s Cream Puffs are the perfect treat for Mother’s Day. They’re light, airy and creamy and calories don’t count on Mother’s Day.
- Kara Kakes: These cupcakes go above and beyond normal desserts. With both stylish and delicious creations, Kara Kakes will bring a pop of color and flavor this Mother’s Day.
- The Hoboken Mary: Spice up Mother’s Day with The Hoboken Mary’s Blood Mary mixes. This all natural, gluten free, low sodium and fat free recipe will leave everyone wanting a taste.
- Lily Pulitzer Wine Glasses: Not sure what type of alcohol your mother-in-law likes? Not a problem. Lily Pulitzer makes beautiful and vibrant plastic wine glasses that are great for moms of all ages.
Gifts for the home
Home accents are always classy and unique gifts to give. These four NJ natives provide some of the best gifts for the home:
- Gold and Ivy: Full of natural soy candles and home goods, Gold and Ivy keeps it simple yet elegant. These are the perfect gifts to brighten up someone’s Mother’s Day.
- Little Egg Harbor Soap Company: Using fresh, natural products Little Egg Harbor Soap Company makes colorful and useful products. From soaps to skincare products, they give you only the best.
- Anchor Arts Front Door Décor: Cute and funny hand painted and custom door mats are the perfect Mother’s Day Gift. They’re personal and unique and are definitely practical for keeping dirt out of the house.
- Mantra Body Spray: Make your mom feel good everyday with Mantra Body Sprays. Used to “uplift, inspire and empower” these sprays are a great way to get moms ready to face each and every day with energy.
A classic Mother’s Day gift that never goes out of style is a good book. Check out our two picks below:
I'm not going to tell you how long my book is on sale for $1.99 on Kindle, Nook, and iBook, because there's no reason that you would put off changing your whole life for under 2 bucks! Yes, you have 2 dollars to spend on changing your life in 4 minutes. Oh, and I have $150 in bonuses waiting for you for FREE when you register your purchase at bexlife.com/book. You're STILL here? Hurry, hurry!! (Then slow down and meditate.) #YH4M
- Bex’s New Book
- Rebekah Borucki’s new book, You Have 4 Minutes to Change Your Life is perfect for moms because we even though we are always busy and rushing around, we can all find just 4 minutes to relax and meditate. This book shows that in just 4 minutes you can have a more positive and relaxed life (even with 3 kids and 2 dogs).
- Liane Moriarty Books
- For the bookworm moms or just someone that wants a thrilling, exciting and funny read, books by Liane Moriarity accomplish all of these things while also keeping you at the edge of your seat. While Big Little Lies got a lot of buzz from being made into an HBO television show, What Alice Forgot, The Husband’s Secret and all of Liane’s other books are just as juicy and dramatic.
Jewelry seems to be the classic Mother’s Day gift in most houses, so this year give a unique piece that no other mother will be wearing.
Gemstone stacking rings from the .aym. Aurora collection. From left to right: green amethyst, lemon quartz, rose quartz, and purple amethyst. . #aymcollections #jewelry #jewellery #handmadejewelry #handcraftedjewelry #jewelryforsale #shopping #instagood #instadaily #photooftheday #potd #ring #rings #fingercandy #stackingrings #ringstack #stackablerings #ringstagram #ringsfordays #ringsoftheday #ringswag #ringsforsale #ringshopping #instaring #ringlover #showmeyourrings #gemstonerings #skinnyrings #daintyjewelry #minimalistjewelry
- Aym Collections: Aym collections makes elegant and classy jewelry that moms can wear every day. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are sophisticated and beautiful and also a great gift.
- Luna Rayne Jewelry: From cute cuffs to radiant rings, Luna Rayne offers jewelry that is cool and stylish. Gem stones are used for most of the pieces, making them sparkle. Check out the Stella Cuff in Sterling Silver for a classy, everyday look or the new Sparkly Amethyst Cluster and Quartz Crystal bracelets to make a statement for a night out.
- Sage & Indie: Specializing in wire wrapped tree of life pendants, Sage & Indie creates timeless and charming jewelry. Our favorites are the round turquoise tree of life necklaces.
- TMC Boutique: From handmade jewelry to handbags and other gifts, TMC offers creative and rare items that can’t be found anywhere else. This is a cool spot to get something different this year.
Monthly Gift Boxes
Give a gift that lasts a whole year. With monthly gift boxes, moms can receive something new every 4 weeks. While there are gift boxes for every type of item here are just a few:
- Birchbox : Each month this box comes with 5 beauty products to brighten up your life. The best part of Birchbox is the variety of products, so you can find new essentials that you will use forever.
- Love with Food Tasting: A box of food delivered to my house every month? I’m in. And the best part is the snacks in these boxes have no hydrogenated oils, trans fats or high fructose corn syrup. They’re all-natural and delicious and they even have gluten free items.
- Everyday Happy: This option is perfect for someone celebrating their first mother’s day as Everyday Happy provides monthly boxes of family products. Diapers, soap, vitamins and all other items are natural, vegan and non-toxic for a safe and useful gift.
- Field to Cup: For a relaxing and delicious gift box, Field to Cup provides monthly tea boxes. With a different variety each month, these teas are all unique and soothing.
Just like kids, moms want adventures, too. A great Mother’s Day Gift is a chance for that adventure (and a chance to get out of the house for a little while). Here are some of our favorite places to go:
- NY Waterways: Even though we live so close to New York, moms might not have the time to explore the beautiful city. Giving the gift of a NY Waterway trip can be an exciting and fun getaway. Whether it’s through a Broadway Musical, a museum or the Empire State Building this will be an unforgettable gift.
- NJ’s Wineries: Instead of just one bottle of wine, give a trip to one of NJ’s wineries. It’s just the type of experience all moms need.
- A night out down the shore: Pay for a dinner and Bed & Breakfast down the shore for another mom and her hubby this Mother’s Day. A quick, relaxing getaway from the chaos of home is all she needs … don’t forget to get a babysitter, too.
- Spa Day: A day at the spa full of massages, facials and serenity is just what a mom needs to take a step back from her hectic life. She will leave feeling refreshed and recharged (and ready for food in their hair again).
Unique Online Finds
The internet is full of places to find Mother’s Day gifts, but these picks offer extraordinary and different items that stand out among the rest.
- Just Jersey Goods: From gift boxes and jewelry to aprons and pillows, Just Jersey Goods provides locally made custom items with jersey flair perfect for any jersey mama.
- Etsy: Another great place to find locally made items is Etsy. They have everything from jewelry and clothing to home décor and garden items. A few NJ natives featured on Etsy include:
- Branding Branches: With every product made from wood, Branding Branches combines nature with creativity. Coasters, serving utensils, jewelry boxes and cutting boards are some of the unique items sold here.
- Carol Kutz Designs: Carol Kutz Designs creates functional yet beautiful items that every mom needs: greeting cards. With aesthetically pleasing prints of nature on the front, these cards are personal as well as practical.
- The Cozy Giraffe: The Cozy Giraffe features all things crochet. From cacti to kimonos and scarves to hats, these items are comfy and cute.
- Uncommon Goods: Similar to Etsy, Uncommon Goods features artisan goods that are yes, uncommon. Just a few of the items featured include candles, jewelry, mugs, tea, and foliage.
- Mark and Graham: Mark and Graham features polished, monogrammed items for every occasion. Key chains, dinner plates, handbags, umbrellas, wine glasses and luggage are just a small number of monogrammed mommy must-haves that Mark and Graham offers.
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the New Jersey Moms.