Have a blast inside with these family-friendly indoor activities in New Jersey. Get movin’ and active at an Indoor Rock Climbing Gym, Trampoline Park, or Play Space, stay entertained at a Kid-Friendly Play or Musical or Family Winter Carnival, learn something new while Sleeping Over at Adventure Aquarium or Stargazing at a Planetarium, plus much more in New Jersey this winter.
Here are 8 Indoor Activities to do with your little ones in New Jersey:
1. Indoor Rock Climbing
Indoor rock climbing at one of New Jersey’s indoor rock gyms is a perfect way for children and parents to be active together. Work with climbing professionals with a Staff Belay climbing session, and partake in a unique, entertaining workout while exercising listening skills and following directions. Climbing as a family is a fantastic way to work on team-building. Children and parents can work together to overcome a difficult wall, or conquer special challenges like blindfold climbing and three legged climbing. No experience is necessary; novice and experienced climbers alike are welcome at these family-friendly climbing gyms.
- The Gravity Vault Indoor Rock Gyms, Locations in Chatham, Upper Saddle River, & Middletown
- High Exposure Rock Climbing, Ninja Warrior, & Parkour, 266 Union St, Northvale, NJ 07647
- New Jersey Rock Gym, 373 US-46, Fairfield, NJ 07004
- Randolph Climbing Center, 3 Middlebury Blvd, Randolph, NJ 07869
- Garden State Rocks, 705 Ginesi Dr, Morganville, NJ 07751
- Rockville Climbing Center, 200 Whitehead Rd, Trenton, NJ 08619
- Elite Climbing, 67 E Kings Hwy, Maple Shade Township, NJ 08052
2. Family-Friendly Plays & Musicals
Whether you are a theater lover or have never experienced New Jersey’s Broadway-quality productions, January is the perfect time to see a kid-friendly show. The holiday rush is over, and the new year offers fresh, new performances among New Jersey’s top production companies and theaters.
- NJPAC, New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- North Jersey, Mayo Performing Arts Center
- Central Jersey, State Theatre New Jersey
- South Jersey, Broadway Theatre of Pitman
3. Swim at an Indoor Pool
We’ll admit it – we miss swimming! Get a taste of summer by visiting a sports complex that has drop-in rates for indoor pools. If you love it, consider a family pass for the whole winter to keep you tied over until beach weather is back. A day at the pool this month can be a perfect way to get some exercise, stay active, and spend time together as a family.
- Pershing Field Pool, 201 Central Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07307
- Five Star Aquatics, Locations in Edison & Eatontown
- Jersey Wahoos Swim Club, 4101 Church Rd, Mt Laurel, NJ 08054
- Lyndhurst Community Pool, 400 Weart Ave, Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
- Toms River Fitness-Aquatic Center, 213 NJ-37, Toms River, NJ 08753
- Visit your local YMCA location.
- Visit a Life Time Fitness location near you.
4. Trampoline Parks
Anybody can get excited about a full-fledged indoor trampoline park! These large gyms feature wall-to-wall (and sometimes floor-to-ceiling!) bouncy trampolines. You will never see a bigger smile on somebody’s face than during an open jump session at one of New Jersey’s trampoline parks. As if the fun isn’t enough, it is one of the best workouts you can find; parents are encouraged to jump right in, too. Get movin’ and jumpin’ this January at a trampoline park near your hometown.
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park, Locations in Ocean Township (our fave for many reasons, and it’s also the largest facility!), Allendale, Pine Brook, Mount Olive, South Plainfield,Lakewood, & Maple Shade Township
- Air Trampoline Sports, 111 NJ-35, Cliffwood, NJ 07721
- Elite Trampoline Academy, 549 NJ-35, Red Bank, NJ 07701
- Get Air Freehold Trampoline Park, 200 Daniels Way #120, Freehold, NJ 07728
- Stratosphere Trampline Park, 5 Mary Way, Hainesport, NJ 08036
- High Elevations Trampoline Park, 7 Enterprise Ct, Sewell, NJ 08080
5. Play Spaces
There’s a reason that play spaces in New Jersey have become one of the most popular indoor activities; they have something to offer for every child. Indoor play spaces offer Open Play sessions that allow your little ones to let out all of their pent-up winter energy by running, climbing, jumping, and playing on safe, full-sized playground equipment. Some facilities offer special classes, camps, and drop-off sessions so mommy can enjoy time to herself to finish some errands (or some much-deserved pampering!) Age-appropriate areas and toys allow your little one to play safely with children of the same age, providing the opportunity to make new friends and meet new playmates.
- Urban Jungle Play, 1140 Maxwell Ln, Hoboken, NJ 07030
- Jumpin’ Jax, 600 Winters Ave, Paramus, NJ 07652
- Kidnetic, 2 Changebridge Rd, Montville, NJ 07045
- Kids Village, 131 S 31st St, Kenilworth, NJ 07033
- Princeton Play Space, 745 Alexander Rd, Princeton, NJ 08540
- JellyBean Jungle, 230 N Maple Ave, Evesham Township, NJ 08053
- Play Day Place, 695 Challenger Way, Forked River, NJ 08731
6. Winter Classes
We’re always on the look-out for the best activities in New Jersey for your little ones, and this winter, it’s no different. We’ve got the scoop on New Jersey’s best indoor classes for kids this month: from the 23 acre sporting campus at Superdome Sports in Waldwick and Flash Fiction and Songwriting classes at Project Write Now in Red Bank to instruction in Creating Your Own Dollhouse at Visual Arts Center of New Jersey in Summit and Robotics and 3D Printing at Engineering for Kids in Edison. Visit our full guide for New Jersey’s must-know Art, STEM, Creative Writing, Indoor Sports, and Music classes, sorted by North, Central, and South Jersey.
7. Bank Of America Free Museum Days
Winters in New Jersey are the perfect opportunity to cross some items off of your Museum Bucket List. New Jersey is home to over 250 museums, each with its own specialty and personality. This winter, Bank Of America is offering Free Museum Days to Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders the first weekend of every month to learn together and experience what our state’s museum institutions have to offer.
New Jersey locations for Free Museum Days:
Garden State Discovery Museum (Cherry Hill, NJ)
Liberty Science Center (Jersey City, NJ)
WheatonArts & Cultural Center (Millville, NJ)
Montclair History Center (Montclair Art Museum, Montclair, NJ)
Morris Museum (Morristown, NJ)
Aljira, a Center for Contemporary Art Newark Museum (Newark, NJ)
8. Stargaze at the Planetarium
Sit back, relax, and get lost in space while looking up to the stars above and watching a special film presentation in the domes of New Jersey’s educational and entertaining planetariums. Kids (and parents!) of all ages will get lost in the enchantment of the dome’s crystal clear projection – all while learning something new.
- Dreyfuss Planetarium at Newark Museum, 49 Washington St, Newark, NJ 07102
- Raritan Valley Community College Planetarium, 118 Lamington Rd, Branchburg, NJ 08876
- New Jersey State Museum Planetarium, 205 W State St, Trenton, NJ 08608
- The Robert J. Novins Planetarium at Ocean County College, 1 College Dr, Toms River, NJ 08754
- Fredric and Jean Edelman Planetarium at Rowan University, 201 Mullica Hill Rd, Glassboro, NJ 08028
MORE FUN THINGS TO DO IN NJ:
- Museums in North, Central, & South NJ
- Aquariums in NJ
- 20 Family Friendly Hiking Trails in NJ
- 52 #NJMOM Must-Do Adventures
- Plan ahead by checking NJ Mom’s 60+ Things to Do in New Jersey
- Free Museum Days in NJ (the first weekend of each month)
- 275 Parks & Playgrounds in NJ
- 50 Best Spas in NJ
- 10 Mommy & Me Classes in NJ
- Date Night Ideas for Mom + Dad
- Kids Bowl Free in NJ